Search This Blog

Thursday, September 13, 2018

Your Quirks are Your Gifts.


I was in 6th grade, living in Morocco, my teacher was Canadian and he sat at the head of a classroom filled with  a small intimate group of kids from all different backgrounds, mostly Muslim, having a conversation that would have put "Dead Poets Society" to shame. In fact, if I remember correctly my teacher kind of looked like Robin Williams. I remember the horrified looks on the faces of the students when he asked us to admit something we didn't particularly like about ourselves- that we thought was odd or different. Then he had us all go around and tell that student why that odd thing was awesome. It was a long time ago, but I do remember some of the students becoming emotional as they heard from the outside perspective that their oddity could actually be a strength. My insecurity at the time was that I was the only one non fluent in French or Arabic- the two other strong languages that influenced my school. I remember quietly admitting that many times I felt lost and alone because of the language barrier. It made me feel like an outcast, and sometimes without meaning to, the kids would overlook me because I couldn't communicate. I don't remember all of the feedback, but I do remember one girl, she had a thick Hindi accent as she told me that because I could not understand in words what everyone was saying all of the time, I was learning how to observe other ways of communication. She was right, from a young age (I had lived overseas from the time I was 4 years old) I learned how to read body language, voice tones, eye expression, and energy in order to survive and communicate. The one thing that made me the most insecure growing up had actually made me a very precise observer. It's from that insecurity that I began to develop my intuition and become the strong mystic that I am today.

Like you, I've spent most of my life feeling different, odd, and outside of the social norm. Sometimes I felt like hiding, blending in, and covering up. Those were the times when I felt the most uncomfortable, sad, dark and depressed. Even though it's scary to shine your light, it just naturally feels better. It is a relief when you find the benefit of being odd. Over the past 20 years of doing readings, I've come to realize that everyone has their quirks, and whenever they are embraced, it can actually give clues into a life purpose. Ask yourself what is the one thing that makes you most insecure? What has the oddity taught you? What strength did you have to develop because of it? By acknowledging, accepting, and using your quirkiness, you could very easily be lead onto a beautiful life journey meant just for you!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing this beautiful entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing that episode of your life with us!
    It really got me reflecting on my own life experience and I think I can find some similarities with yours as I grew up in a village where most people spoke a dialect called Alsatian. I felt apart because I personally didn't speak for my parents never taught me that language and it wasn't something we could learn at school. I would simple call it blood heritage. But, because I didn't master this language I had to concentrate even more on French at school, it also pushed me to take English as a second language at school which enabled me to go further than many of my classmates with my studies and become an English teacher. I can now easily pick on other languages.
    What was my weakest point is that at the age of 6 I suffered from effusion of synovium
    Due to juvenile arthritis which made me handicapped up to this day. My handicap made me see people differently and I only recently realized how empathic and understanding a person I grew because of it. Because I suffered many of my classmates’ mockeries, all my life I have been extra careful not to hurt people, never to judge them on their physical appearances or point out their weaknesses, now as an adult and an educator and feel I have an even bigger impact about that topic. It was a long process for me to accept my difference, but hey there are worst things in life and it is making me so unique. I am also trying to develop the Reiki within me, because since I was a child, I knew my hands where there to heal myself and others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your response has truly touched me and my heart goes out to you for the trials you faced growing up. I am so delighted that you have found strength through everything you've been through. I see your hands as healing and hope you continue on your path towards being a healer. What a beautiful soul you have, sending you so much love!

      Delete